The information on this website is for healthcare professionals. The COMET system is only offered to European hospitals or researchers with applicable approvals.
COMET measurement system
The science of cellular monitoring
Results with the technology and its application have been published in or presented at:
- Baumbach P, Neu C et al. A pilot study of exercise-induced changes in mitochondrial oxygen metabolism measured by a cellular oxygen metabolism monitor (PICOMET). BBA – Molecular Basis of Disease 1865 (2019) 749–758
- Wefers Bettink M et al. Monitoring of mitochondrial oxygen tension in the operating theatre: first experiences with the novel COMET monitor. Presentation 1198 at ESICM Lives 2018 in Paris.
- Ubbink R et al. Monitoring of mitochondrial oxygen tension during a red blood cell transfusion and fluid challenge in chronic anemia patients. Presentation 970 at ESICM Lives 2018 in Paris.
- Ubbink et al. Probing Tissue Oxygenation by Delayed Fluorescence of Protoporphyrin IX. Chapter 13 in Dmitri B. Papkovsky and Ruslan I. Dmitriev. Quenched-phosphorescence Detection of Molecular Oxygen: Applications in Life Sciences. The Royal Society of Chemistry 2018 ISSN: 2052-3068 DOI: 10.1039/9781788013451
- Wefers Bettink M et al. Non-invasive measurement of mitochondrial oxygenation and respiration in human endotoxemia and sepsis. Session 556 at IARS Annual Meeting Chicago 29 April 2018.
- v Diemen MPJ et al. Measurement of Oxygen Metabolism In Vivo. p.315-322. Chapter 20 of Will Y, Dykens J.A. (Editors). Mitochondrial Dysfunction Caused by Drugs and Environmental Toxicants. Wiley 2018. ISBN 978-1-119-32974-9
- Mik EG. Better assessment of cellular oxygenation. The Future of monitoring. Update on Monitoring in the Acutely Ill Patient. Rome, Dec 11 2017
- Mik EG. New method to evaluate cellular metabolism. Update on monitoring. Update on Monitoring in the Acutely Ill Patient. Rome, Dec 11 2017
- v Diemen MPJ et al. Validation of a pharmacological model for mitochondrial dysfunction in healthy subjects using simvastatin: A randomized placebo-controlled proof- of-pharmacology study. Europ. J. Pharmaco. 815 (2017);290-297
- Ubbink R et al. Novel technique to monitor effect of transfusion on mitochondrial oxygenation. Poster P251 presented at 37th ISICEM 21 March 2017
- Mikhael M, Nasr N, Al Jindi P. Cutaneous Mitochondrial PO2 : A Beginning of a New Era? Anesthesiology Vol.126, p. 348
Römers et al. In Reply. Anesthesiology Vol.126, pp. 349-350
- Ubbink R et al. A monitor for Cellular Oxygen METabolism (COMET): monitoring tissue oxygenation at the mitochondrial level. J Clin Monit Comput (2017) 31: 1143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10877-016-9966-x
- Nederlof R et al. Reducing mitochondrial bound hexokinase II mediates transition from non-injurious into injurious ischemia/reperfusion of the intact heart. J Physiol Biochem. 2016; 73(3): 323–333.
- Huntosova V. Effect of PpIX photoproducts formation on pO2 measurement by time-resolved delayed fluorescence spectroscopy of PpIX in solution and in vivo. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2016 Nov;164:49-56
- Zwaag J, Wefers Bettink MA, Kox M, Mik EG. Change of mitochondrial function in vivo during human endotoxemia: preliminary data. Nederlands tijdschrift voor anesthesiologie 27:100 (2016)
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous Respirometry as Novel Technique to Monitor Mitochondrial Function: A Feasibility Study in Healthy Volunteers. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 25;11(7):e0159544 (2016)
- O’Brien EO, Schmidt U. Cellular Hypoxia in a Brand New Light (Editorial). Anesthesiology 2016 Jul; 125(1): 20-1 (2016)
- Romers LH et al. Cutaneous Mitochondrial PO2, but not Tissue Oxygen Saturation, Is an Early Indicator of the Physiologic Limit of Hemodilution in the Pig. Anesthesiology 2016 Jul;125(1):124-32 (2016)
- Ince C et al. Microcirculatory and mitochondrial hypoxia in sepsis, shock, and resuscitation. J Appl Physiol 120(2):226-35 (2016)
- Freebody M. Delivering optical devices to the medical market. Photonics Spectra 40(4):50-54 (2016)
- Harms FA et al. Non-invasive monitoring of mitochondrial oxygenation and respiration in critical illness using a novel technique. Crit Care.19(1):343 (2015)
- Harms FA et al. In vivo assessment of mitochondrial oxygen consumption. In: Weissig, Edeas (eds.). Mitochondrial Medicine: Vol. 1, Probing Mitochondrial Function. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1264:219-29.
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous mitochondrial respirometry: non-invasive monitoring of mitochondrial function. J Clin Monit Comput. 2015 Aug;29(4):509-19 (2014)
- Harms FA. Towards non‐invasive monitoring of mitochondrial function. PhD Thesis ErasmusMC University Medical Center Rotterdam (2014)
- Mik EG et.al. Towards real-time measurement of intracellular oxygen tension Photonic International/2013 pp.52-53 (2013)
- Mik EG Measuring Mitochondrial Oxygen Tension: From Basic Principles to Application in Humans. Anesthesia & Analgesia 117(4) p 834-845 (2013)
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous respirometry by dynamic measurement of mitochondrial oxygen tension for monitoring mitochondrial function in vivo. Mitochondrion S1567-7249(12)00226-7 (2012)
- Piffaretti F et al. Real-time, in vivo measurement of tissular pO2 through the delayed fluorescence of endogenous protoporphyrin IX during photodynamic therapy. J. Biomed. Opt. 17(11) 115007 (2012)
- Harms FA et al. Validation of the protoporphyrin IX-triplet state lifetime technique for mitochondrial oxygen measurements in the skin. Optics Letters 37: 2625-2627 (2012)
- Bodmer SI et al.. Microvascular and mitochondrial PO2 simultaneously measured by oxygen-dependent delayed luminescence. J.Biophotonics 5(2):140-151 (2012)
- Harms FA et al. Oxygen-dependent delayed fluorescence measured in skin after topical application of 5-aminolevulinic acid. J.Biophotonics 4(10): 731-9 (2011)
- Piffaretti et al. Optical fiber-based setup for in vivo measurement of the delayed fluorescence lifetime of oxygen sensors. J. Biomed. Opt. 16:037005 (2011)
- Mik EG Measuring Microvascular and Mitochondrial Oxygen Tension – Novel Techniques for Studying Tissue Oxygenation, PhD Thesis, University of Amsterdam (2011)
- Mik EG et al. Mitochondrial oxygen tension within the heart. J. Moll. Cell. Cardiol. 46: 943-951 (2009)
- Mik EG et al.. In vivo mitochondrial oxygen tension measured by a delayed fluorescence lifetime technique. Biophys. J. 95: 3977-3990 (2008)
- Mik EG et al. Mitochondrial PO2 measured by delayed fluorescence of endogenous protoporphyrin IX. Nature Methods 3: 939-945 (2006)
Eurostars supported the development and testing of the COMET measurement system (project E!7294). Photonics Healthcare collaborates with AMC, Erasmus Medical Center, Leiden University, Sanquin Blood Supply and Unitron.