COMET measurement system
The science of cellular monitoring
The technology and its application has been published in or presented at:
- Wefers Bettink M et al. Monitoring of mitochondrial oxygen tension in the operating theatre: first experiences with the novel COMET monitor. Presentation 1198 at ESICM Lives 2018 in Paris.
- Ubbink R et al. Monitoring of mitochondrial oxygen tension during a red blood cell transfusion and fluid challenge in chronic anemia patients. Presentation 970 at ESICM Lives 2018 in Paris.
- Ubbink et al. Probing Tissue Oxygenation by Delayed Fluorescence of Protoporphyrin IX. Chapter 13 in Dmitri B. Papkovsky and Ruslan I. Dmitriev. Quenched-phosphorescence Detection of Molecular Oxygen: Applications in Life Sciences. The Royal Society of Chemistry 2018 ISSN: 2052-3068 DOI: 10.1039/9781788013451
- Wefers Bettink M et al. Non-invasive measurement of mitochondrial oxygenation and respiration in human endotoxemia and sepsis. Session 556 at IARS Annual Meeting Chicago 29 April 2018.
- v Diemen MPJ et al. Measurement of Oxygen Metabolism In Vivo. p.315-322. Chapter 20 of Will Y, Dykens J.A. (Editors). Mitochondrial Dysfunction Caused by Drugs and Environmental Toxicants. Wiley 2018. ISBN 978-1-119-32974-9
- Mik EG. Better assessment of cellular oxygenation. The Future of monitoring. Update on Monitoring in the Acutely Ill Patient. Rome, Dec 11 2017
- Mik EG. New method to evaluate cellular metabolism. Update on monitoring. Update on Monitoring in the Acutely Ill Patient. Rome, Dec 11 2017
- v Diemen MPJ et al. Validation of a pharmacological model for mitochondrial dysfunction in healthy subjects using simvastatin: A randomized placebo-controlled proof- of-pharmacology study. Europ. J. Pharmaco. 815 (2017);290-297
- Ubbink R et al. Novel technique to monitor effect of transfusion on mitochondrial oxygenation. Poster P251 presented at 37th ISICEM 21 March 2017
- Mikhael M, Nasr N, Al Jindi P. Cutaneous Mitochondrial PO2 : A Beginning of a New Era? Anesthesiology Vol.126, p. 348
Römers et al. In Reply. Anesthesiology Vol.126, pp. 349-350
- Ubbink R et al. A monitor for Cellular Oxygen METabolism (COMET): monitoring tissue oxygenation at the mitochondrial level. J Clin Monit Comput (2017) 31: 1143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10877-016-9966-x
- Nederlof R et al. Reducing mitochondrial bound hexokinase II mediates transition from non-injurious into injurious ischemia/reperfusion of the intact heart. J Physiol Biochem. 2016; 73(3): 323–333.
- Huntosova V. Effect of PpIX photoproducts formation on pO2 measurement by time-resolved delayed fluorescence spectroscopy of PpIX in solution and in vivo. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2016 Nov;164:49-56
- Zwaag J, Wefers Bettink MA, Kox M, Mik EG. Change of mitochondrial function in vivo during human endotoxemia: preliminary data. Nederlands tijdschrift voor anesthesiologie 27:100 (2016)
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous Respirometry as Novel Technique to Monitor Mitochondrial Function: A Feasibility Study in Healthy Volunteers. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 25;11(7):e0159544 (2016)
- O’Brien EO, Schmidt U. Cellular Hypoxia in a Brand New Light (Editorial). Anesthesiology 2016 Jul; 125(1): 20-1 (2016)
- Romers LH et al. Cutaneous Mitochondrial PO2, but not Tissue Oxygen Saturation, Is an Early Indicator of the Physiologic Limit of Hemodilution in the Pig. Anesthesiology 2016 Jul;125(1):124-32 (2016)
- Ince C et al. Microcirculatory and mitochondrial hypoxia in sepsis, shock, and resuscitation. J Appl Physiol 120(2):226-35 (2016)
- Freebody M. Delivering optical devices to the medical market. Photonics Spectra 40(4):50-54 (2016)
- Harms FA et al. Non-invasive monitoring of mitochondrial oxygenation and respiration in critical illness using a novel technique. Crit Care.19(1):343 (2015)
- Harms FA et al. In vivo assessment of mitochondrial oxygen consumption. In: Weissig, Edeas (eds.). Mitochondrial Medicine: Vol. 1, Probing Mitochondrial Function. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1264:219-29.
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous mitochondrial respirometry: non-invasive monitoring of mitochondrial function. J Clin Monit Comput. 2015 Aug;29(4):509-19 (2014)
- Harms FA. Towards non‐invasive monitoring of mitochondrial function. PhD Thesis ErasmusMC University Medical Center Rotterdam (2014)
- Mik EG et.al. Towards real-time measurement of intracellular oxygen tension Photonic International/2013 pp.52-53 (2013)
- Mik EG Measuring Mitochondrial Oxygen Tension: From Basic Principles to Application in Humans. Anesthesia & Analgesia 117(4) p 834-845 (2013)
- Harms FA et al. Cutaneous respirometry by dynamic measurement of mitochondrial oxygen tension for monitoring mitochondrial function in vivo. Mitochondrion S1567-7249(12)00226-7 (2012)
- Piffaretti F et al. Real-time, in vivo measurement of tissular pO2 through the delayed fluorescence of endogenous protoporphyrin IX during photodynamic therapy. J. Biomed. Opt. 17(11) 115007 (2012)
- Harms FA et al. Validation of the protoporphyrin IX-triplet state lifetime technique for mitochondrial oxygen measurements in the skin. Optics Letters 37: 2625-2627 (2012)
- Bodmer SI et al.. Microvascular and mitochondrial PO2 simultaneously measured by oxygen-dependent delayed luminescence. J.Biophotonics 5(2):140-151 (2012)
- Harms FA et al. Oxygen-dependent delayed fluorescence measured in skin after topical application of 5-aminolevulinic acid. J.Biophotonics 4(10): 731-9 (2011)
- Piffaretti et al. Optical fiber-based setup for in vivo measurement of the delayed fluorescence lifetime of oxygen sensors. J. Biomed. Opt. 16:037005 (2011)
- Mik EG Measuring Microvascular and Mitochondrial Oxygen Tension – Novel Techniques for Studying Tissue Oxygenation, PhD Thesis, University of Amsterdam (2011)
- Mik EG et al. Mitochondrial oxygen tension within the heart. J. Moll. Cell. Cardiol. 46: 943-951 (2009)
- Mik EG et al.. In vivo mitochondrial oxygen tension measured by a delayed fluorescence lifetime technique. Biophys. J. 95: 3977-3990 (2008)
- Mik EG et al. Mitochondrial PO2 measured by delayed fluorescence of endogenous protoporphyrin IX. Nature Methods 3: 939-945 (2006)
Eurostars supported the development and testing of the COMET measurement system (project E!7294). Photonics Healthcare collaborates with AMC, Erasmus Medical Center, Leiden University, Sanquin Blood Supply and Unitron.